Saturday, May 4, 2013

Send Your Name to Mars

This is super cool!


You can send your name to Mars! It does not cost anything, there is nothing to buy, no sales pitch. NASA is placing submitted names on a DVD and sending them to Mars on the MAVEN space craft.

How cool is that!? I have submitted my name and both of the kids' names. You have to create a log in but it's easy. I found out it lets you submit up to three names. So, Tami is going to have create her own account if she wants to go to Mars with us. If you are interested, and I don't see how anyone could not be, you have until the end of June to get your name in.

Here is the link:
http://lasp.colorado.edu/maven/goingtomars/

Here is the article I chanced upon where I learned about this:
http://earthsky.org/science-wire/nasa-invites-public-to-send-names-and-messages-to-mars

They are also accepting haiku poems, three of which will be selected to go to Mars, too. And student art to be selected and sent, also. Submissions for the student art are over but the voting is going on now.

Happy travels to Mars.