Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 14- Savannah, GA

Today was a day of smells. Not mine. You wouldn't want me to write about that. It's 87 degrees right now at 11 o'clock in the night and we just came in from our evening walk. It was 101 in at least one place we were in today and it was in the 90s most of the rest. Well, you get the idea.

Every once in a while when riding through South Carolina there would be this delicious smell and I would take in a deep nose full and look around for the blossom. I never found it. Then we got closer to the southern part of the state and the sun was setting and it smalled like parts of northern Arizona. I think the smell is hot wet trees. Then, right before we crossed the big, very big, bridge in to Savannah, Georgia I got a whiff that reminded me of a hot summer evening in Hawaii. I wish I knew what that sweet good smell along the freeway was. It was very good.

Other vegetation interests include a vine that grows here and there and will occasionally grow 50 feet to cover an entire tree. And rarely, it will cover every tree and bush in a ten thousand square foot area rectangle along the highway. This makes for an interesting vegetative high-rise landscape smoothed out in a green curvy organic vine-iness. That might be a botanical term.

In gastronomic news, I had fried green tomatoes for breakfast today. Good. And breaded. Did you know they were breaded? I have read "Fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe" twice (super good book- I highly recommend it) and I've seen the movie "Fried green tomatoes" that is based on the book and still I never caught on to the fact that fried green tomatoes are breaded. Maybe they are not always, but they were when served in a North Carolina restaurant that opened in 1906. I assume that they know what they are doing by now.

The picture today is from Charleston, North Carolina. That was a very upscale and attractive shopping area where I enjoyed every ice crystal in a glorified slurpee that I bought from a nice girl on the street with a glorified ice box. I have no idea how it tasted as my only care at the time was something cooler than 90 degrees. But, it sure was rejuvenating and after that I was able to enjoy the scenery.